Petrillo & Goldberg
Excels for our clients
Talk to an Attorney
Get a Free Case Evaluation

How will my medical expenses be paid while I am receiving treatment for an injury that occurred at work?

Under the New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Act, if an employee suffers an injury at work, the employer must pay for all medical treatment received for the injury. However, the employer can select the physician who will treat the employee. A physician who is chosen by the employer to treat a work-related injury is referred to as an authorized doctor.

If the employee is not treated by an authorized doctor, the employee may have to pay all medical expenses that result from the work-related injury. After treatment with an authorized doctor, at some point, the employee will receive a release from the doctor to return to work. Under the New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Act, such a release can take place only if the employee has attained a maximum medical benefit. This means that the employee may still feel pain and other symptoms, but will not realize any improvement from more treatment.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:


I have dealt with other law firms, and there is no comparison. It is an honor to know you and I must say, that I have the highest regard for your integrity.

- Lance Zeaman



Meet our attorneys

The highly competent lawyers at Petrillo and Goldberg represent clients with personal injury claims, workers compensation claims, slip-and-fall cases and automobile accident victims. We work for you, and take our job of getting the best possible results for you seriously.