Petrillo & Goldberg
Excels for our clients
Talk to an Attorney
Get a Free Case Evaluation

If I suffer an injury while at home recovering from a work injury, may I recover workers’ compensation for the second injury?

It depends on whether the second injury resulted from an independent, intervening cause. If you innocently aggravate your work injury or suffer an injury because of the work injury, you can get workers’ compensation benefits for the second injury. If the second injury is totally unrelated to your work injury, workers’ compensation does not cover the second injury.

For example, if you are walking in your yard and fall because of your prior on-the-job injury to your ankle, workers’ compensation covers your injury. The second injury can be an aggravation of the first one or it can be a different injury. If you injure your arm in the fall, workers’ compensation would cover the injury.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:


I have dealt with other law firms, and there is no comparison. It is an honor to know you and I must say, that I have the highest regard for your integrity.

- Lance Zeaman



Meet our attorneys

The highly competent lawyers at Petrillo and Goldberg represent clients with personal injury claims, workers compensation claims, slip-and-fall cases and automobile accident victims. We work for you, and take our job of getting the best possible results for you seriously.