Petrillo & Goldberg
Excels for our clients
Talk to an Attorney
Get a Free Case Evaluation

If my vehicle was damaged in a motor vehicle accident, how can I have it repaired?

The first step is to file an insurance claim. If a motorist caused damage to another driver’s vehicle, the plaintiff can file the claim with the insurance company if the plaintiff possesses the proper coverage. This would be a first party claim. Alternatively, the plaintiff can file the claim with the insurance company for the owner of the other vehicle. This would be a third party claim.

In the event the plaintiff files a first party claim, the insurer will either pay for the repairs to the car or pay the amount the vehicle is worth if the damages are greater than the car’s value.

If the plaintiff files a third party claim, the other motorist’s insurer will only pay for damages to the degree to which the insured was liable. In some cases, this may be insufficient to reimburse the plaintiff for the total amount of the loss.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:


I have dealt with other law firms, and there is no comparison. It is an honor to know you and I must say, that I have the highest regard for your integrity.

- Lance Zeaman



Meet our attorneys

The highly competent lawyers at Petrillo and Goldberg represent clients with personal injury claims, workers compensation claims, slip-and-fall cases and automobile accident victims. We work for you, and take our job of getting the best possible results for you seriously.