Petrillo & Goldberg
Excels for our clients
Talk to an Attorney
Get a Free Case Evaluation

What options are available to me if I do not like the physician to whom I was referred by my employer’s insurance carrier?

Under New Jersey law, the employer has the authority to choose the doctor who will provide medical care to an injured employee. However, if the employer provides services that are reasonable and needed to treat the injured employee, the worker can file a motion for medical and temporary disability benefits. The filing procedures are stated in the Rules of the Division of Workers’ Compensation.

The proceedings are given a high priority and are to take place, in the presence of a judge, within 30 days of properly filing the motion. After seeing the doctor chosen by the employer, you still have an opportunity to consult another doctor of your own choosing. You can also obtain a second opinion if the doctor selected by your employer provides a diagnosis with which you disagree.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:


I have dealt with other law firms, and there is no comparison. It is an honor to know you and I must say, that I have the highest regard for your integrity.

- Lance Zeaman



Meet our attorneys

The highly competent lawyers at Petrillo and Goldberg represent clients with personal injury claims, workers compensation claims, slip-and-fall cases and automobile accident victims. We work for you, and take our job of getting the best possible results for you seriously.