Getting Compensation for Injuries in a Slip and Fall at a School
Were you or your child injured in a slip and fall at school? A school must keep the building and the property free of hazardous conditions. A slip and fall lawyer will evaluate your case to determine if you or your child can get compensation for the injuries.
Causes of slips and falls at schools
The condition of a school or its property can cause slips and falls:
- A student slips on water from a leaky roof at a school.
- A student falls on a broken bleacher in a school’s gymnasium.
- A student falls on a broken step.
- A student steps in a hole on the school’s playground.
- A student’s parent falls on a slippery substance in the hall on the way to visit the school’s principal.
Common injuries in slips and falls at schools
You or your child may suffer a minor injury in a fall at your child’s school, but some injuries can be serious:
- Head injuries: You or your child could strike your head on a desk or the floor when you fall. Facial injuries, such as an eye injury, can occur. You or your child may suffer a traumatic brain injury, such as a concussion.
- Back injuries: You or your child could suffer a back injury as a result of a fall. The injury could be a muscle tear, a disc injury or a spinal injury.
- Broken bones: Slips and falls can result in broken bones, such as a broken arm.
What to do if you or your child is injured in a slip and fall at school
Actions you take after the slip and fall could impact your ability to get compensation for your injuries:
- Get medical attention. You or your child should receive immediate medical care for any injuries.
- Report the incident to a school official as soon as possible. If your child tells you about the injury and it was not reported, inform school officials immediately.
- Take photographs of the accident scene. The photos can show what caused the accident.
- Get the names and phone numbers of all people who saw the fall.
- Contact a lawyer. A slip and fall lawyer can investigate the cause of a slip and fall at school and take the proper action toward getting compensation for injuries to you or your child.
School’s liability for slips and falls
To hold the school responsible for a slip and fall, you must prove the school was negligent. For example, a slip and fall lawyer may demonstrate the school failed to maintain its property in good condition. The lawyer may show school officials knew or should have known about a hazard and failed to take action in time to prevent the slip and fall.
How you proceed to recover compensation for a slip and fall depends on whether the accident occurred at a private or public school. If the slip and fall occurred at a private school, you can bring a suit against the school. If the accident happened at a public school, a local government owns the school, and you must proceed with a claim against the government. Find a slip and fall lawyer with experience in dealing with governmental claims.
Claims against the government in New Jersey
Different rules apply when filing a slip and fall claim against the government, such as a school district. The time for filing a slip and fall case in New Jersey is usually two years, but you must file a claim with the school district within 90 days from the date of the accident. After you file the form, the government has 90 days to reject or accept the claim.
Compensation for a slip and fall at school
You can recover your medical expenses, lost wages and compensation for pain and suffering. This general rule applies in a suit arising out of a slip and fall at a private school.
If the slip and fall occurred at a public school, the New Jersey Tort Claims Act limits your compensation. If you have insurance that covers your injury, the amount you could receive from insurance is deducted from your award against the government. To receive compensation for pain and suffering, you must suffer a permanent loss of a bodily function, permanent disfigurement or dismemberment, and your medical expenses must exceed $3,600.
Get legal help
A lawyer will provide a free consultation to discuss your case. If you hire a slip and fall lawyer, they will investigate your case and determine the cause of your slip and fall at school. If your claim is against the school district, the lawyer will follow the procedure for filing a claim against the government. The lawyer will negotiate a settlement for your claim to get you reasonable compensation for your injuries.
Did you or your child suffer an injury in a slip and fall at school? You may get compensation for your injuries. Talk to an experienced slip and fall lawyer at Petrillo and Goldberg at 856.249.9295 or visit https://petrillogoldbergclm.clmcloud.app to learn more.