Getting Compensation for Injuries in a Slip and Fall in a Hospital
Aside from its duty to provide medical care to patients, a hospital also must provide a safe environment for its patients and visitors. Were you injured in a slip and fall in a hospital? The hospital can be liable for your injuries. A slip and fall attorney can evaluate your case.
Causes of slips and falls in a hospital
A hospital, like other businesses, must keep its premises in a safe condition. What are some common causes of slips and falls in hospitals?
- A patient, not under any physical restraints, slips on a wet floor on the way to the restroom.
- A patient slips and falls on a slick floor en route to a doctor’s office in the hospital.
- A visitor in a patient’s room slips on a spill on the floor.
- A visitor falls on a crack in the sidewalk leading to the entrance of the hospital.
- A visitor trips on a step in a stairway where the lighting is inadequate.
Common injuries in slips and falls in hospitals
What are common injuries in slips and falls in hospitals?
- Head injuries: Hospital rooms are small so when a patient falls, they can strike their head on a piece of furniture or the hospital floor.
- Broken bones: Hip fractures are common injuries in slips and falls. A patient or visitor at the hospital can also break a leg, arm or wrist in the fall.
- Back injuries: Slips and falls can result in serious back injuries. The back injury can result from the way the patient or visitor lands, or it may arise out of the twisting motion a patient or visitor makes to avoid falling.
What to do after a slip and fall in a hospital
Actions you take after a slip and fall in a hospital can help or hurt your case. After a slip and fall take the following steps:
- Get medical attention. Medical attention is available, so take advantage of it. Even if the injury is minor, get checked out.
- Report the accident. Let someone in charge at the hospital know about your slip and fall.
- Take photographs. Take a picture of what caused your fall. The floor may be wet, or an object may be on the floor. Snap a shot of your immediate surrounding as well.
- Get contact information. If someone witnessed your fall, get their name and phone number.
- Contact a lawyer. A lawyer can investigate the fall, determine the cause, and work with the hospital, its insurance company or its lawyers to get you compensation for your injuries.
Hospital’s liability for a slip and fall
If a patient slips and falls, an attorney must first determine whether the slip and fall relates to the medical care the patient received. If so, the case will proceed as a medical malpractice case. If not, the case will be a negligence action.
A negligence action arising from a slip and fall is the same as if the fall occurred at another business. The slip and fall lawyer must prove the hospital knew or should have known of the hazard and failed to take steps to prevent the patient or visitor from falling.
While the hospital may be liable, your conduct can be considered in determining fault. In New Jersey, your fault precludes your recovery if it accounted for more than 50 percent of the cause of the slip and fall. If your fault is 50 percent or less, your fault reduces your compensation recovery by the amount of fault attributed to you.
Compensation for your injuries in a slip and fall at a hospital
You can recover your medical expenses, lost wages and compensation for your pain and suffering. New Jersey limits the amount of damages to $250,000 in negligence actions against nonprofit corporations organized exclusively for hospital purposes.
Get legal help
A slip and fall lawyer will evaluate your case during a free consultation. If you hire a lawyer, they will investigate your case thoroughly to determine the cause of your injuries. An experienced lawyer will negotiate a fair settlement to compensate you for your injuries. Most cases settle, but if a reasonable settlement cannot be reached, the lawyer will represent you in court and let a jury decide the compensation you should receive.
Did you suffer an injury in a slip and fall in a hospital? You may get compensation for your injuries. Talk to an experienced slip and fall lawyer at Petrillo and Goldberg at 856.249.9295 or visit https://www.petrilloandgoldberg.com to learn more.